In our school, we fully understand the advantages of obtaining a Cambridge Certificate. Cambridge English exams are much more than a level test. They are considered a turning point in our students’ academic and professional lives.
The advantages of these English-level exams are endless. The following can be highlighted:
- They are globally recognized as proof of one’s ability to use English-and they don’t expire!
- By preparing for these exams, students will not only improve their language level, but they will also develop skills that will be of use to them in every aspect of their lives. As journalist Flora Lewis said: ‘Learning another language is not only learning different words for the same things, but learning another way of thinking about things.
The skills that a Cambridge certificate includes are as follows:
- Writing: Learning how to write a well-structured text.
- Listening: ‘active listening’ is developed, which means direct understanding of the message being transmitted.
- Reading: Capturing the main idea of an internal communication.
- Speaking: Being able to communicate effectively.
In short, these skills provide q well-rounded knowledge of the different parts of the language, in order to face real life situations easily.
For all the above mentioned reasons, in Casvi we prepare our students, from preschool to high school, for all the different levels of these External English Exams.
In Preschool, students are introduced to English-level exams, by presenting our 4- and 5-year-old students to the individual G1 level of Trinity College London. This decision is made due to the fact that English is used throughout the school day, starting from year 1. Thanks to this, and their good oral expression, students improve their fluency and are given the opportunity to get their first certificate in a language that is not their mother-tongue.
Exámenes inglés Cambridge:
In Primary Education, students get prepared for Starters, Movers, Flyers, KET and PET.
Throughout Secondary Education and Baccalaureate, students dedicate themselves to preparing for First Certificate, Advanced Certificate and Proficiency Certificate, and in fact, reach such a high level of English, that our D.P students are fully prepared to take their subjects either in English or Spanish.
With this being said, the entire team of teachers in the English department, both in Grammar classes and in Conversation classes, include the skills required in Cambridge English exams as part of daily activities and rehearsing official exam-like activities and mock exams.
In particular, Conversation classes focus on the skills of Listening and Speaking, while in Grammar classes, aspects such as good writing and understanding of texts are dealt with, in order to improve reading comprehension and written expression in real life situations.
Students are also prepared INDIVIDUALLY for these English-level exams, attending to their specific needs and improving those skills in which they may have difficulties.
Our students also benefit greatly from our Language Exchange Program: we organize it mainly with the US, without any intermediary agency, through direct contact with schools around the world. The exchange is two months long, and it involves our students from 5th to 10th grade. The destinations are diverse: Oklahoma, Minnesota, Tacoma, Virgin Islands…
It is also worth noting that English is not the only foreign language taught in our school as a curriculum subject, as Chinese and German are also offered and studied throughout the school day.