We are aware of the great importance of the English level certificate at Casvi Villaviciosa. The Cambridge English exams which our students have been taking over the last few weeks are more than just a level test. They are a decisive test for their academic and professional future. We tell you why in this video.
Advantages of obtaining a certificate of English level in Casvi Villaviciosa
Cambridge English exams are external assessments that officially certify our students’ level in English. This is why these assessments “are recognised by 25,000 universities, companies and governments around the world”. The advantages are endless:
- An international recognition that can be used anywhere in Spain or the world with no expiry date.
- When you prepare for a Cambridge English exam, you not only significantly improve your level in English, but you also develop skills that will be useful in any aspect of your life. They also provide knowledge of the different parts of the language that will allow our students to face real-life situations with more ease and naturalness. As the journalist Flora Lewis once said. “Learning another language is not just learning different words for the same things, but learning another way of thinking about things”.
For both reasons, at Eurocolegio Casvi International Private School we prepare our students in all stages of our International Baccalaureate methodology (PYP, MYP and DP). And we do so at the different levels of these external English exams.
Changes to Cambridge exams (English Level Certificate at Casvi Villaviciosa)
At the beginning of 2020, Cambridge Assessment English updated the A2 Key/A2 Key for Schools and B1 Preliminary/B1 Preliminary for Schools exams. Why? Because languages, like society, are evolving. And with this renewal, the aim is to bring the exams closer to the real actions of everyday life. That is why, at Casvi Villaviciosa, we always insist on the importance of our students learning languages (in our case English, Chinese and German) through activities and actions that can be found in their daily lives.
Specifically, the changes made in 2020 were as follows:
- New or revised exercises were included in each part examined.
- The way of grading was changed. The results are now A, B or C.
- A2 and A2 for School were shortened by 10 minutes.
- B1 Preliminary/B1 Preliminary for Schools tests four skills, as reading comprehension and writing were separated.
How is the level of English assessed?
The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR): Learning, Teaching, Assessment is “the international standard defining language proficiency”. It defines language skills on a scale ranging from A1, which is the basic level of English, to C2, which indicates perfect language proficiency. It develops the language programmes and curriculum guidelines, and also creates the teaching-learning materials and the way in which language proficiency is assessed.
Preparation of English level certificates in Casvi Villaviciosa
- In Preschool, they are introduced to the preparation of English level certificates in Casvi Villaviciosa, presenting our 4 and 5 year old pupils to the Trinity GESE1 exams (corresponding to the PreA1 level of the CEFR framework). This decision is based on the fact that English is a natural subject to work on from the age of 1, throughout the school day. Thanks to this, and to their increasingly fluent oral expression, they are given the opportunity to have their first certificate of English level.
- In Primary School, we prepare them for the English level certificates Starters, Movers, Flyers, KET and PET.
- And throughout Secondary and Baccalaureate we focus on First, Advance and Proficiency levels, reaching such a high level of English that our students, in the Diploma Programme, are able to choose to study the subjects in English or in Spanish indistinctly.
Team of english teachers
The whole team of teachers in the language department, both in English classes and in English conversation, include the skills required in the Cambridge English exams as part of the daily activities, carrying out activities and simulations of the official type.
Specifically, in the conversation classes we focus on Listening and Speaking skills, while in the English classes we cover aspects such as good writing and text comprehension, in order to improve your reading comprehension and written expression in the language in real situations.
It is also important that students are prepared individually for these English level certificates at Casvi Villaviciosa, attending to their needs and improving those skills in which they may have difficulty.
Our Language Exchange Programme also plays a very beneficial role in the preparation of these English exams. We organise them without any intermediary agency, through direct contact with schools all over the world. Mainly with the United States. They last two months and our pupils from 5th grade of Primary to 4th grade of Secondary Education take part in them. The destinations are diverse: Oklahoma, Minnesota, Tacoma, Virgin Islands?